Precautions to Take Printed Materials for Safe Shipping
In order for the package to reach the end-user safely, there should not be any issue with the surface coating and printed materials during shipment and handling. There are many testing methods in which the wear process complexity will be determined in any Rub testing Company.
One of the most popular print rub testing techniques is Ink rub tester which is also called as Abrasion Resistance Test.
Type of testing performed on printed labels
Like in any type of testing, the rub test when performed on printed labels will be used to calculate the amount of abrasion that is possible when the package is shipped or stored.
For label testing what they will do is they will put a label in the machine and they will put a label on a weight. They will rub these two labels with some speed and for some particular time in order to see how much damage they can take.
Rub testing that is done in the textile industry
When textiles are taken into account, print rub testing is required to see how much stain resistance the fabric has. This can be determined by doing a test for fastness to rubbing.
This test can be performed both on wet and dry fabric. The fabric that has good color fastness will not fade easily after washing.
Features of an Ink Rub Tester
- Ink Rub tester can be worked on both dry and wet rubbing.
- This will have microcomputer controls
- LCD will be used to display the test data.
- There will be a buzzer that can tell the person that the testing phase is completed.
- Should control and resolve bad abrasion on the surface coatings.
Technical Features that are to be noted when going for the test
The print rub testing can be done using any rub tester. But it is preferable to check if these technical features are present in the tester.
- The rubbing pressure should be 8.9 N
- The rubbing should be done in to and fro arc motion
- The number of cycles depends on the item for which the test is being done. It varies from 0 to 999,999
- Rubbing speed will be among one of these speeds – 21, 42, 85, or 106 CPM
Types of testers available in the market
For print rub testing there are a variety of machines available depending on the type of work and type of item they have to work on. Some of them include
- Ink Rub Tester
- Rub tester that can work on inks and coatings
- Abrasion Resistance Tester
- Ink Abrasion Tester
- Rub Abrasion tester that can test printed materials
- Ink Rub resistance tester
- Scuff tester
- Rub Proofness tester
- Digital rub tester for printing or coating layers
- Scratch Tester
Testing will be done depending on the type of wear the printed label might be subjected to. These tests can be done for ink labels, surface coatings, fabrics, and many such surfaces where printed labels can be attached like medical equipment.
For fabric, the rub test even gives a grade from grade 1 to grade 5 with 1 being more color transfer and 5 being no color transfer. If the product hits the mark then there is no need to worry about that product even after it reaches the customer.